Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Roof Saga Continues

We got 7" of rain in Z'hills on Saturday!  My well used Tarp leaked in four places and had a few puddles inside my TH.  Needless to say, you will be happier if you can build your house inside a building.  It is a lot of work and requires least two people to pull the tarp over the TH.  Trust me.

This past Sunday was sunny and warm.  My friend Genie and Jeff (a TH Enthusiast) joined me to finished putting sheathing up on the steep part of the roof.  Putting on the sheathing on one side of the TH was easy because it was reachable from scaffolding outside and scaffolding inside in TH.  The other side was a bit more challenging.  The sheathing on the lower portion of the roof was easy since it was reachable from the outside scaffolding.  The ~18" portion near the ridge required me to scale the roof.  I nailed a 8-foot 2x4 and 2x2 to create a step and tied myself to the ridge board using a rope.  Regardless of the precautions taken, it was unnerving experience.  In hindsight, it may have been possible to put the full 4x8 sheet near the ridge board screw it while standing on the top of the wall.  Being 5'9" I'm sure I could have reached the ridge board without using ropes!

There are roof ladders you could build or buy..ask Google.  Since panels are long, I may have to resort to building a roof ladder in order to install the standing seam pans.

By the way, I have applied a heat shield on the underside before putting up the sheathing.  It is like thick aluminum foil stuck to the sheathing with either double sided tape or spray adhesive.  I used spray and it worked well.  It can be applied before you put up the sheathing or installed afterwards between the rafters.  I believe I already feel the difference. 

For you information, a local roofing company agreed to install my roof for about $2500.  That feels just a little expensive.  The upside is that I could wave my magic wand (i.e. my checkbook) and have this done in a day or two.  I'm fairly certain that I can save a buck and buy my roofing material from Gulf Coast Supply (http://www.gulfcoastsupply.com). I've selected a product called GulfLok.  Everyone there is very helpful and nice to work with...tell Barry that I sent you!  He understands the TH movement.  Besides GCS's documentation is GREAT for DIYers and was what convinced me I can install the roof myself.  I am using 1" standing seam, 12" wide pans made of 24 guage in Galvanized color.  I chose conventional drip eves which are simpler to install.

No comments:

Post a Comment